About

This blog is a celebration of novel, novel characters!

I love reading novels, and as an artist I know a great exercise to stretch one's illustration skills is to portray characters from a description in a book. This blog is a challenge to myself to do just that so I'll be posting illustrations from whatever book I'm currently reading. Feel free to add comments and send me your fan art for these great titles too!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Katherine & Mama from Blowing on Dandelions by Miralee Ferrell




Although “Blowing on Dandelions” easily counts as historical romance, the romance between the main characters, Katherine & Micah, almost seems to play out in the background.  The real heart of the story lies instead, with the relationship between Katherine and her mother.  Throughout the story we get to read the thoughts of both ladies providing insight to their strained relationship.

These two characters couldn’t have a more different way of thinking from each other, which really added a truthful element to the story.  I’ve found that to be the case with my own family members, and it can be very frustrating, yet, realizing that everyone has a different way of thinking can help lead to understanding.  For Katherine, loving thy neighbor seemed to be an easier task than loving her own mother!  It was interesting to follow along with her as she tried to love and honor a mother who she felt had no love for her, while getting glimpses from her mother’s side as well.  Thankfully for Katherine, and for all of us, how we feel doesn’t always reflect what’s true.


I’m happy to report the story has a satisfying end, and while I slowed down reading in the middle, the beginning and end had some very exciting events that kept me in suspense.  The book hosted a spread of great secondary characters including Katherine & Micah’s children, town’s folk, and the guests of Katherine’s boarding house.  There were a couple mysterious characters in the boarding house that I wanted to know more about, and now having read the sneak peak for book two, it seems I’ll get my wish.


So much of the story reveals what’s inside each character’s heart, and that’s what makes this story special, that I hesitate to focus on their outward appearances.  But since Katherine’s mother was such a force to be reckoned with, I found myself wondering what type of lady she would be?

Here’s a quote about her from the book:
“A diminutive woman in a gray cloak and matching hat with a dust veil drawn over her face stood outside on the stoop.  Clutching a valise with one hand, she flipped up the veil with the other and frowned.”
What do you think, would she be more proper with a judgmental air, down to earth & down right stubborn, or something else?


Once you’ve read the book, let me know what you think!  Thanks to Miralee who sent me a review copy so I could share this post with you!

-Monica
 

8 comments:

  1. Monica, I LOVE your depictions, especially of Mama! Definitely the second one with both hands on her hips, it's perfect. I'm so glad you enjoyed my book and appreciate you blogging about it. I'm going to share this on FB. Blessings!
    Miralee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, maybe the first drawing looks a little too much like the evil stepmother from Disney's Cinderella.. Thanks Miralee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! Such a great idea and you draw so well. I love how you put your two hobbies together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wanda! It was definitely a light blub moment when I decided to start this blog last year. Now I wonder why I didn't think to do it sooner. :)

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! What a wonderful combination of hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You draw so well! I read this book and really enjoyed it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! It certainly was a good one, did you have a favorite part/aspect?

      Delete