About

This blog is a celebration of novel, novel characters!

I love reading novels, and as an artist I know a great exercise to stretch one's illustration skills is to portray characters from a description in a book. This blog is a challenge to myself to do just that so I'll be posting illustrations from whatever book I'm currently reading. Feel free to add comments and send me your fan art for these great titles too!

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Amelia from the “Heiress of Winterwood” by Sarah Ladd



 
I know I mentioned in one of my past posts that I’ve been participating a little in the ACFW book club, this was last November’s pick.  I really got into it and it’s been one of several titles I’ve been meaning to post on for a while.  I’m glad to get the chance to share about it with you now!

After reading the back cover, I expected this to be the kind of story where there’s a marriage of convenience towards the beginning with the rest of the story being about how the couple falls in love after the marriage, but I was pleasantly surprised that it played out much differently.  In fact, by the end of the book the wedding still hasn’t happened, but of course it’s clear who the main character, Amelia is marrying.


The story starts on a sad note, with Amelia’s best friend Katherine passing away in childbirth.  As the child’s Sea Captain father, Graham is away, Amelia promises Katherine that she will take care of her daughter Lucy.  The task becomes a joy to Amelia, and she’s determined to raise Lucy as her own, but she’s got one complication.  Amelia will lose her father’s estate, Winterwood, if she is without a husband for it to be legally passed on to by the age of twenty-five, and her fiancé Edward Littleton, wants nothing to do with the girl.  While Amelia continues trying to persuade Edward to change his mind concerning Lucy, Edward is busy making plans to use the estate’s money for business investments with her uncle.  Just when it seems Amelia’s options are slim, Lucy’s father Graham arrives seeking out his daughter, and Graham may just be the solution Lucy’s looking for.

Full of romance and some surprising twists, this is one story that doesn't disappoint.   Amelia is a heroine who has to face some tough choices but refuses to compromise the most important things in life.  For that, she's a wonderful character and I know I'll enjoy reading her story again sometime.

 -Monica


11 comments:

  1. Awww, darling pictures as usual. Sounds like a great book, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture! I love how you got all three characters in. I really enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Monica -- I love the illustration -- what a talent you have! And thank you for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of my favorite drawings by you Monica! However they all are super awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I spent a lot of time with this one and I was pretty happy with it myself!

      Delete
  5. I loved this novel and "The Headmistress of Rosemere." I am anxiously awaiting another novel from Sarah Ladd. How long before another one is published?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, I'm not sure. I'll let you know if I find out!

      Delete