About

This blog is a celebration of novel, novel characters!

I love reading novels, and as an artist I know a great exercise to stretch one's illustration skills is to portray characters from a description in a book. This blog is a challenge to myself to do just that so I'll be posting illustrations from whatever book I'm currently reading. Feel free to add comments and send me your fan art for these great titles too!

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Meg & Bo from Undeniably Yours by Becky Wade



Last night I finished reading, “Undeniably Yours” by Becky Wade, and it was just in time to write this post for the books release date- today!  Thank you Becky for having a review copy sent to me!

 First off, I have to point out that I absolutely love the cover design for this book.  It’s so light and uplifting.  Even though you can’t see the character’s faces, their poses communicate for themselves.  True to what you’d expect from looking at the cover, the book proves to be a sincere, sweet, and satisfying contemporary story.

I won’t go into the synopsis here, you can read that on the back cover, or elsewhere online, but I do have a few thoughts on the story and characters that I will share.
Meg & Bo get to know each other at her father's horse ranch.  Just for her, Bo keeps tissues in his pocket.
 The main characters, Meg Cole and Bo Porter, are a classic pair of “opposites attracting” but the one thing they do have in common is there faith.  I love this aspect of their relationship, because there was a time when I sat down and wrote a list of criteria for my future husband which included all sorts of ridiculous things such as “must like Start Wars, must read the same books as me, must love cats,” not realizing that of all the reasons to even date a guy, these are by far the least important.  Even thinking about my own parent’s relationship, there’s little they have in common when it comes to big things like their upbringing, and little things like their personal taste in movies, books, and hobbies, but they both love God and have different skills that complement each other.

 Well, Meg Porter didn’t have a list like that, but she did have a lot of differences in her personal history and financial situation from Bo which caused both characters to carefully consider their actions towards one another.  I liked how they were both very mature characters and at no point did any relationship drama feel contrived.  There were some classic objections that you might expect from family members concerning their relationship, but no annoying melodrama.  There was only one place where I wanted to scream at Meg for making a bad choice, but by then her character had been so thoroughly established, that I couldn’t imagine her deciding differently at that point.

Meg doesn't like riding horses, but what can go wrong when a guy like Bo is there?

The pacing of the story was pretty good.  Although in the second half of the book I felt the plot slowing down a bit as Mrs. Wade allowed more time to just be with the characters in some relationship building scenes, it picked up again towards the end, leaving no desire to put it down for the last 50 pages.  By the end of the story there were tears in my eyes and warmth in my heart.  How’s that for being mushy?  In all seriousness, it was a very touching story and I’m so glad that I had a chance to read it.


Meg suffers anxiety attacks as she struggles to become a strong, confident business woman.
With God, all things are possible!
 Meg is the daughter of a wealthy Oil Barron.  What do you think, is this $1k chair expensive enough to be in her father’s office? http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-the-home/



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for reading Undeniably Yours, Monica, and for the very charming artwork you did in association with it. What a fun and unique way to review books!

    I'm thinking that yes, the $1K chair might just be expensive enough to make it into William Cole's office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely can't wait to read this one! Great artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the expression on Meg's face as she rides the horse! Great work. I'm starting "Undeniably Yours" this weekend!

    ReplyDelete