About

This blog is a celebration of novel, novel characters!

I love reading novels, and as an artist I know a great exercise to stretch one's illustration skills is to portray characters from a description in a book. This blog is a challenge to myself to do just that so I'll be posting illustrations from whatever book I'm currently reading. Feel free to add comments and send me your fan art for these great titles too!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Mariah from Claiming Mariah by Pam Hillman

Greetings!  I hope everyone had a Happy Easter!  I took some much needed R&R and settled in with a good book Sunday afternoon.  Pam Hillman kindly sent me a copy of her new ebook “Claiming Mariah” which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Thank you Pam!



http://www.amazon.com/Claiming-Mariah-ebook
Claiming Mariah…

As you can guess, the heroine of this story is Mariah; Ms. Mariah Malone.  She’s a woman with a kind heart, faith in God, and a spirit that won’t be crushed despite her sorrowful situation.  Her story takes place on a Wyoming ranch in 1882.  In one of my favorite scenes she takes a stand against injustice, but not without a few dozen casualties.

Buck- “You shouldn’t have done that, ma’am.”
Mariah- “I know.  I wasted all my eggs.”

At about 270 pages, the book was a light read for me.  The story flowed at a good pace and I could picture it in my mind as if I were watching a movie.  There’s so many times when I feel like sitting down to watch a good film, but am often disappointed with weak plots and shallow characters.  That’s when I need a book such as “Claiming Mariah.”  Good characters, solid plot, happy end.  ;)
Mariah Malone

Check out Pam Hillman’s blog site:
& Like her on Facebook!

16 comments:

  1. Oh, this is is PRICELESS!!!!

    Thank YOU, Monica, for spotlighting Claiming Mariah. Love how you captured Mariah's upset over the infamous "egg" incident! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! That scene had me laughing. ;) I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely ADORABLE, Monica!! I LOVED Claiming Mariah, and you captured the egg scene wonderfully!!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I've been wanting to read your Winds of Change series. Almost a year ago I finished going to school for my MFA and while I was studying, although I hardly had any time to read for fun, I kept picking up books, including "A Hope Undaunted." I'm still catching up on so many good reads! Now that your third book in the series is out, one of these days I'll just have to start reading my way through them all. ;)


      Delete
  4. Adorable! Claiming Mariah is waiting on my Kindle, and now I'm even more excited to read it! (Have I mentioned my TBR stack is about to topple over? Yours is coming up next, Pam!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ya my TBR stack was about to topple over too! It became a whole shelf instead... I'm not even going to mention how many TBRs I have on my Kindle!

      Delete
  5. Oh, this is darling! Now I have to put this book on my wish list, too!

    Do you only do western/19th Century books?

    I have a 1930s Agatha Christie-esque English mystery coming out from Bethany House. I'd love to get them to send you an advance copy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DeAnna, thank you so much for your kind offer! That would be wonderful. I would love to read your newest book and be able to include it in the blog! If you need my info I can send you an e-mail, mine is: monica@moonglow.net

      I've watched a lot of the Agatha Christie mysteries on PBS (Poirot was always my favorite). The 1930s is certainly a captivating era. It just turned out that lately I've been reading a lot of books set in the 1800s, but I love all kinds of books and usually like to bounce back and forth between time periods & genres. Romance, fantasy, mystery, history, contemporary, etc. it's all fun!

      Delete
    2. Fabulous! I'll send you an e-mail. Your drawings are SO cute and so well done. I just love them!

      I love Agatha Christie, too. That's why I decided to try my hand at vintage mystery. Poirot is my absolute favorite of hers, and love how David Suchet portrays him. I think they have only four more of the novels to do, and then he will have done all of the Poirot ones. That is SO cool!

      :D

      Delete
    3. Ya, David Suchet is great! I like his travel specials too.

      Delete
    4. Oooh, I haven't seen those. I'll have to check them out. :D

      Delete
    5. :D This is his newest one:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pq9hc

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your picture so makes me want to read the book! By the way I got my bookmark and LOVE it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had fun making the bookmark. You're the first person to ask for a penguin & a giraffe together. Two of my favorite animals. I'm glad you like it! :D

      Delete
  8. Love this, Monica! What a feisty character! I can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete